• German Integrationcourses

VDAB Training Cheques

Financial Aid

Those who want to keep up need to take further training regularly and learn new things. Unfortunately, the cost price of some training courses can be rather high. The Flemish government has come up with a solution: it pays half the course via training cheques.

Who is it for?

If you are an employee or a temp and you live in Flanders or in the Brussels Capital Region, then you can use the Flemish government's training cheques.

You are not eligible if you are self-employed or are employed as a 16 to 25 year old with

  • A student employment contract.
  • An employment contract of less than 80 hours a month as part of an apprenticeship contract.

Additional allowances

  • If you do not have a secondary or higher education diploma, then the Flemish government offers you something  extra.
  • If you just had career guidance and are starting a training course you are eligible for an additional subsidy.


If you are eligible, you decide when and where you will follow a course or career guidance.

  • The course has to be provided by a recognised institute in Flanders.
  • The course must also contribute to your usability on the job market.
  • You may not take the course as an assignment from your employer.

After the course or guidance you will get a certificate indicating what you followed and which competencies you have acquired.


When can you do a course with training cheques?

  • In your spare time, i.e. only outside your normal working hours or during periods of statutory suspension of your employment contract.
  • When taking educational leave, i.e. paid educational leave, educational credit or leave for social promotion.


With the cheques you can pay for a course, career advice or competency measurement at recognised training providers.

Please note: only direct or indirect expenses (registration fee, course material, exams or tests, etc.) are refunded. For example, transportation and child care costs are no direct expenses and are therefore excluded. If you want to be certain, ask the course provider which costs it covers before ordering the cheques.

The Flemish government pays half the amount per cheque for each course paid for with training cheques. In other words, you pay just 2.5, 5 and 12.5 euro for cheques with a value of 5, 10 and 25 euro. Per calendar year you can buy training cheques for a maximum amount of 250 euro.

An example: you want to follow a course with a 120 euro registration fee. You then need to order cheques for the amount of the course, namely 120 euro. As the Flemish government pays for half, you will only have to pay 60 euro. You will then pay your registration fee with training cheques worth 120 euro.


The cheques can be requested up to two months after the course had started or when the exam or test has been taken. You can then use them for 14 months. The starting and final dates are mentioned on the cheque.

Order your cheques on time, as they are limited. In addition, this will ensure that you do not have to pay an advance for the course's registration fee. If you did pay the registration fee yourself, ask the educational institute whether they are prepared to reimburse the money as soon as you have provided the training cheques. The educational institute is not obliged to do this.

The VDAB has an agreement with Accor regarding the provision of the cheques. You therefore have to arrange payment and receipt of the cheques with this company. If you have not received the paid order, then complete the form and send it to the issuer (Accor - Avenue Herrmann Debroux 54 - 1160 Brussels), within a month following your request.

After having requested the cheques, the VDAB will examine whether you meet the terms and conditions. If this is not the case, Accor will send you a message.

Cheques are reimbursed in the following cases:

  • The course is cancelled or there are too many candidates. The educational institute will provide a certificate as proof.
  • Death, illness or an accident. Proof shall be provided with a copy of the death certificate or a doctor's certificate.
  • Other cases of force majeure. Proof must be submitted to the training cheques department of the VDAB.

You can request reimbursement with this form (PDF - 9 kb).

How to order

  • Order online.
  • Call 0800 30 700 (weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm).
  • Go to a VDAB office or job shop.


Please call us at:

0800 900 93

Hours of availibility:

Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Berlitz Center